- Hair is made up mainly of proteins and is pretty strong stuff. However, chemical processes can weaken your hair and cause it to break. In this article I?ll explain how the pH of hair products can affect your hair?s condition and how you can avoid unnecessary damage. The structure of the hair is made of two main parts. The outer layer, called the cuticle consists of overlapping scales which protect the cortex underneath. When your hair becomes damaged the scales of the cuticle can stand out or break off, exposing the cortex and making your hair feel dryer and harder to brush.
- ?The cortex which is in the inner region of the hair is made of a string of proteins and gives the hair it?s strength and elasticity. This is why damaged hair does not return to shape or even snaps when stretched. The cortex is where melanin (which denotes your natural hair color) can be found. For this reason most hair colors will need to penetrate to the cortex in order to change your hair color. You can measure the pH of anything that is water soluble.
- The pH indicates how acid or alkaline a substance is. The scale ranges from 0 to 14 with 0 being a very strong acid and 14 being a very strong alkali (aka a base). Both strong acids and alkalis should be avoided as they will burn skin. Water has a pH of around 7, as does Peroxide and most shampoos. Lemon Juice and Vinegar, both acids, have a pH of around 2 or 3 and baking soda, an alkali, has a pH of around 8 or 9. Hair Colors are Usually Alkaline
- The wave of Keratin Hair Treatments has swept the nation! Many people are running to their neighborhood hair salon to achieve flawless, smooth, manageable hair. The problem now is that some clients have experienced hair loss after multiple Brazilian Keratin Treatments. Hair is made up of Keratin, which is a protein. In order to maintain a healthy head of hair, while also straightening it, you need to ensure that there is a high enough level of keratin in your hair.
- While Keratin Treatments are meant to maintain that healthy head of hair, just like most other things on earth? too much keratin can cause damage and or shedding of the hair. However, a few steps can be taken to help prevent any possible damage.
- About a week before you receive your Brazilian Keratin Treatment, use a deep oil treatment. Products such as these can be found at any retailer selling hair products. A deep oil treatment will help to keep your hair moisturized enough that the Keratin Treatment will not dry it out. Upon arrival at your salon, request a formaldehyde free formula.
- If the treatment does contain any formaldehyde, be sure that it is less than .2 percent.This is the safest suggested amount in any Keratin Treatment.
- The tools that are used in the process are also a factor as well.
- After applying the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, the product needs to be sealed into the hair.
- Be sure that the flat iron is kept at 450 degrees or higher. Although this is hotter than a standard flat iron, it is absolutely necessary to complete the process properly. Being that the iron needs to be so hot, it is also suggested that a quality flat iron containing titanium plates is used. These titanium plates are capable of withstanding the extreme heat that is needed for this process.
- Being pregnant is a joyous time in a woman?s life. However, there are a few things that aren?t necessarily good for you during this time and one of those things is treating your hair. From coloring to straightening, the chemicals aren?t recommended for women who are pregnant. Fortunately there is a Keratin Treatment for all types of hair: even pregnant women can use it.
- Most hair straightening products use toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde and lye. These are chemicals that are not only irritants to the skin, hair and scalp but can cause respiratory irritations. With Argan Therapy, you no longer have to worry about what chemicals are in your hair straightener because it simpy does not have any; it uses argan oil extract, amino acids and white clay. Best of all, it has a neutral pH which means anyone can use it on their hair from children to pregnant women.
- Not only is Argan Therapy all natural, the ingredients are helpful to the skin, hair and scalp. Amino acids in this straightening product are a vitamin that is found in the skin, hair, & fingernails. This vitamin has a wealth of benefits such as helping prevent hair loss, promoting hair growth and making the hair?s texture better.
- Now you have a choice and don?t have to wait for months to straighten your hair. You can use an all-natural product that is not only safe to use but actually helps your hair as well, which means you can look even more beautiful during your pregnancy.
- If you are ready to place an order or have questions we can help you with, simply contact us and we?ll be more than happy to assist you.
- In other articles, I?ve explained what you should know before getting any kind of Keratin or Brazilian Keratin Treatment, as well as how the process itself works. This time around I will be going into detail about the after-care of these Keratin Treatments.
- Regardless of what type of Keratin treatment you use, IN the 3 Days Formula, it is generally agreed that there is a basic after care .
- Initially after the treatment, you are not to get your hair wet by any means for at least 24 hours! This includes swimming, washing your hair, or exercising which produces sweat on the scalp.
- If you do want to go swimming, especially in chlorinated or salt water, take these precautionary steps.
- You can either soak the hair in clear water before (pre-saturating the hair helps to avoid any other liquid being absorbed.) and rinsing in clear water after, or you can apply a leave in conditioner.
- This doesn?t make a large difference in saving your freshly done hair, but it can be helpful.
- You also can not tuck hair behind ears, use pins or clips, or put into a ponytail. Doing such things will put creases into your freshly done hair.
- If you do happen to notice an unwanted wave or crimp, immediately blow dry and/or flat iron that piece until smooth.
- It is also emphasized that you should avoid using any type of product considering your Brazilian Keratin Treatment has already eliminated most of the frizz and fly a ways.
- If you are going to use any hair products, make sure they do not have alcohol, sodium chloride and sulfates.
- These additives can possibly strip the cuticle, as well as the keratin and moisture from within the hair which will speed the process in which the effects of the Keratin Treatment will wear off. It is also necessary to use a specific shampoo and conditioner when it does come time to wash your hair.
- Products without sodium chloride are ideal to maintain your Brazilian Keratin Treatment as long as possible.Unex Smoothing Argan Post Shampoo & Conditioner from Unex Professional?s line of products is ideal for keeping your Brazilian Treatment long lasting.
- Ever since the introduction of Keratin Hair Treatments years ago, a debate has arisen in the African American community. Is one treatment better than the other? In this article I will give you the information you need to make your own decision.
So What Is The Difference?
- Traditional Relaxers and Brazilian Keratin Treatments (BKT) both have the same end-game? to provide straight hair. However, they both go about it in a different way. Relaxers for black hair typically use harsh chemicals such as ammonium thioglycolate and sodium hydroxide. This additive can lead to hair breakage and if not properly applied, a relaxer can irritate and/or burn the scalp as well as damaging the hair itself. Keratin Hair Treatments contain a protein called Keratin, which is of a similar compound found in human hair. Keratin is a natural ingredient, but be aware of any hair straightening treatment containing formaldehyde. This chemical is a carcinogen that can irritate the eyes and lungs. Older versions of this product have been tested and it has been found that the levels of formaldehyde are considered unsafe according to OSHA. Look for products that say ?All Natural? or ?Formaldehyde Free?.
- There are several reasons that salons should offer a natural keratin treatment to their clients Wish means they will Offer Unex Argan Therapy . If you?re considering expanding your client services be sure to evaluate the following three important benefits that Unex Argan Therapy can provide for your clients.
- Provides the highest quality treatments to your clients: Unex Argan Therapy is a way to naturally straighten hair without drying or breaking it. This natural keratin hair treatment is effective because it uses natural ingredients, pure argan oil extract , primarily organic white clay and amino acids such as l-cysteine, keratin, and silicones, instead of harsh chemicals that come from traditional hair relaxers. The high mineral content of white clay, coupled with the fact that it has a neutral pH, means it is non-toxic and safe for clients of all ages and in all stages of life.
- Creates a fume-free working environment: One of the most significant benefits of the argan therapy is that is does away with the harsh fumes and toxins that, unfortunately, accompany standard chemical hair straightening treatments. Both your clients and your staff will appreciate the safer work environment that is created by lessened exposure to the allergens or toxins that accompany standard hair treatments.
- Simplifies the treatment process: Unex argan therapy is the simplest hair treatment on the market. The process can be completed quickly and naturally and is so effective that hair can be washed the same day. No more waiting 2 or 3 days to wash the hair. Clients love the instant, long-lasting results and the flexibility to add color to their treated hair within just a few days.
- Curious to know more about this natural keratin treatment? Contact us to learn more about Unex Treatments or visit wwwunexkeratin.com for more information. If your interested in trying out unex argan therapy we have a Salon 250 ml (8oz) trial kit available, call us at +1 732-230-7552 to learn more.
- Many people have chosen to get a Brazilian Keratin Treatment, or are considering one. The reasons range from the need to control unruly frizzy hair to wanting your morning routine to take just 20 minute instead of 2 hours. Whatever the reason may be, before you sit in your stylists? chair, take the time to properly prepare your hair. It will be more than worth the while.
- First things first, when you call your salon to make your appointment be sure to ask your stylist if they have a preferred hair smoothing product. They may even have a different treatment that they would like you to apply. With some many keratin hair products on the market you may want to know which is going to be used in your hair and to understand if there are any chemicals such as formaldehyde or sodium hydroxide are being used to make the treatment last longer.
NATURAL KERATIN HAIR TREATMENT
- Nowadays there are chemical free hair straightening products that can offer the same results or better than hair treatments with harsh chemicals. One of such hair treatment is Argan Therapy. Argan Therapy is an all natural keratin treatment that is based on Argan oil Extract , amino acids and white clay which straightens hair naturally without the use of formaldehyde and other harsh chemicals.
- Usually, your hair stylist will suggest a specific shampoo to help maintain the keratin hair treatment to last longer without stripping the keratin from the hair. The best keratin shampoo and conditioner is one which contains an abundant of silicones and nutrients to clean the hair and rehydrate it from inside-out.
HAIR HYDRATION MASK
- If you are considering a hair treatment that is based on chemicals you may want to prepare and strengthen your hair in advance. A good hair conditioning mask will help protect the hair from any damages that may harm your hair. We recommend Unex Argan Oil Hair Mask? You need your hair to be dampened and a towel will be the perfect medium to achieve that. Now apply your hair mask according to the instructions that come with your product. Be sure to invest in a high quality mask. This will ensure the best results. Once you have applied your hair mask, wrap your towel around your head and leave it for about 15 minutes. By doing this, you are giving the mask a chance to do its job without being affected by chemicals that are in the air. When rinsing your hair mask out, use cold water. This also helps to seal the moisture in.
- Unless your stylist says otherwise, this is a great way to ensure that your minimizing the damage a Brazilian Keratin Treatment can possibly cause. Make sure to avoid using a conditioner before and after your Keratin Treatment. This could cause your hair to react poorly to the process and it may not straighten as well as hoped.
As always, use a quality Brazilian Keratin product and if possible look for hair salons that use natural hair straightening products such as Unex extensive line of natural products. Visit their website for details and further information.
- Before any type of keratin hair treatment, find a stylist and/or salon that you are comfortable with. No one wants to be uneasy sitting in a stylists chair. Next, educate yourself and ask the stylist questions you may have about keratin treatments! It?s the best way to ensure you will be receiving exactly what you ask for.
So what is a Brazilian Keratin Treatment?
- Here?s the basic 411: By binding, the keratin is able to repair and maintain a healthy head of hair. On the inside of the hair follicle, the smaller keratin molecules penetrate the cortex, properly managing the quality. The larger molecules adhere to the hair cuticle, making a ?shield? to protect from UV Rays, smoke, smog and other environmental damage. Usually, this hair treatment will last from 2 to 4 months. Being that keratin hair treatments are not permanent the hair will revert back to its natural form over time, although it will stay soft & shiny. However, the more you continue your treatments, the more the hair improves overall. FYI ? This keratin treatment tends to work better on damaged hair and frizzy hair. The more damaged, the better, and the longer the keratin will last in the hair. You should also inquire on the different types of Brazilian Keratin Treatments. Some have formaldehyde while others are formaldehyde free or natural like Unex Argan Therapy ? Unex Organic Therapy . Be sure to weigh the pros and cons of each type of product according to your own personal preference.
- Being that Keratin Treatments contain Formaldehyde, many clients, hair stylists, and health experts have become skeptical. Experts recommend that the formaldehyde in a Keratin product should be at or beneath .2 percent, yet this fact is very highly contested. This is due to the fact that some clients have stated that they experienced damage to the hair and scalp and discomfort during the process.
- Knowing all of the possible dangers of any Keratin or Brazilian Keratin Treatment is always helpful in avoiding the side effects of such a harsh carcinogen such as formaldehyde.
- During the procedure, salons should use any and all Keratin Treatments in well ventilated areas which also utilize fans to continuously keep an open air flow. Masks are also recommended but are not used as often as they should be. When the Keratin is heated with a flat iron, it releases strong fumes containing formaldehyde. This is what makes the necessity for the mask.
- These same fumes can also sting and burn the eyes during the Brazilian Keratin process. Although hair stylists are instructed to keep any chemicals off the scalp, it is something that is hard to avoid. This is because the skin tends to absorb keratin rather quickly.
- That being said, it has been reported that clients have experienced such things as irritated scalp, increased breakage, and shedding from the roots. The formaldehyde in any Keratin Treatment can also aggravate allergies. According to a study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, it was found that people suffering from asthma have an increased sensitivity to the effects of inhaled formaldehyde, which result in triggering asthma attacks. Lastly, there have been concerns that the formaldehyde containing products are at a higher risk of upper respiratory cancer, especially in people who continually utilize or receive treatments on a regular basis. If you have any other questions or concerns about the possible dangers of Keratin/ Brazilian Keratin Treatments, there are plenty of national studies that can be found on the internet. Also, check out these fine quality products that will fit any person?s stipulations
5 Tips for Preventing Split Ends
Yes gorgeous, you must cut your hair. A little trim here and there will prevent those split ends from creeping up to the rest of the hair.
Put in a leave-in conditioner such as Unex Leave-in Conditioner , to add moisture and protect the hair from heat styling.
Nurture your ends with a nutritional oil such as Unex Hair Serum , Unex Argan Oil , to keep them hydrated and strong.
Allow you hair to air dry prior to blow drying.
Do a deep leave in conditioning treatment once a week, to restore the hair from the daily use of product and styling. We recommend Unex Deep Mask to keep your hair looking at its best all year round.